- the intern will not be monetarily compensated for the work performed.
- the intern will not displace an employee.
- the intern position is to provide opportunities supplemental to the intern’s education, and to enhance the future employability of the intern.
Full details of this law can be found on the legislative portion of the Maryland.gov site at the link below:
Intern Discrimination Rights
In the event that an intern feels he/she has been discriminated against or sexually harassed, the intern:
- will have the same rights to access internal organization procedures resolving discrimination and sexual harassment.
- will not be entitled to monetary relief.
- cannot file a civil lawsuit against the employer.
If an employer does not have an internal process in place for conflict resolution, the intern may file a complaint with the commissioner of labor and industry.
FosterThomas HR Management Consulting
Should you need assistance in making adjustments to your employee handbook regarding intern positions in your organization, drafting employee communications, or any other HR related materials, please contact a FosterThomas HR Specialist for assistance. We’re here to help.