The newly revised USCIS M-274 Handbook for Employers—Guidance for Completing Form I-9 is now available for download. This version, which published Jan. 22, 2017, replaces the previous version which was published on April 30, 2013. It reflects revisions to Form I-9, which was revised on Nov. 14, 2016.
The new 65-page handbook reflects the changes to the new 1/22/2017 revision of Form I-9 and provides:
- detailed color images of sample verification documents,
- examples of completed Forms I-9,
- guidance on electronic retention,
- and answers to frequently asked questions about proper hiring and verification practices.
As a reminder, notable changes to the new Form I-9 include, but are not limited to:
- Section 1 asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used.”
- Streamlined certification for certain foreign nationals.
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
- The revised Form I-9 is easier to complete on a computer.
- The instructions have been separated from the form, in line with other USCIS forms, and include specific instructions for completing each field.